The summer hols are 'hol lotta fun!

The summer holidays are always such a fun time for those of smaller stature. As a kid, I remember looking forward to those long, sunny days when school became a distant memory (So long scraping chalk on blackboard! See ya later Tupperware container!), and my time was spent scurrying over the hot sand from beach towel to ocean and back, consuming endless paddlepops (licking the wooden stick to near-oblivion to see if I’d won a prize) and listening to the cicadas give their all to form a veritable ‘bush choir’.


Two of my young nephews are now of school age and I love hearing all about their holidays. Thomas (T) is obsessed with fishing, and the lucky little man enjoyed his first foray into deep-sea fishing with daddy and grandpa in Port Stephens. I took him fishing several months ago, and it was so wonderful having him ‘show me the ropes’: the rods, what fish might be ‘out there’, what bait to use, etc. At 9 years of age, he’s been fishing since he was 3. What a veteran!


Harry (Hazzy / The Hazzman), my 7-year-old nephew, is also very keen on the holidays. It’s been quite the year for him, his long-term, 6-month engagement with Holly coming to an end. Luckily, it’s very amicable, with both remaining on good speaking terms. He’s now taken up a friendship with Molly (yes, from Holly to Molly) as they enjoy swapping cards with one another. So civilised!

If only life was this easy for those of the grown-up variety.


But I digress. He and his elder brother love playing cricket in the backyard and follow the Aussie team avidly on TV. The Hazzman has also been spending the summer holidays playing with his ‘Atlantis’ Lego (a major favourite) and splashing around in the pool with the indefatigable, inflatable crocodile he’s named Bob. What more could a young boy possibly want?


As for me, the most funnest, bestest time I’ve spent these last holidays was with my family - big and small alike. And with the cicadas now drowned out by the sound of giggling children, my summer holidays have certainly changed their tune.


And I couldn’t be happier.

'bye for now

Your Courtesy Aunt x









No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...